The Highest Level of Professional EXCELLENCE….

When You Or Your Family Need It Most

No Pressure

No Hype

Just Answers....And What You Or Your Family Needs

≡ Menu

What Kind Of Car Insurance Do I Need To Buy, And How Much?

This is really a question for an insurance agent. But you should make sure you have Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage.

Ohio requires you to carry liability insurance with limits of at least $12,500 per injured person (up to a maximum of $25,000), and another $7,500 in property damage coverage. These coverages protect you against lawsuits brought by people injured or damaged by your driving.

Collision coverage, which insures you against damage caused to your car, is not required. Neither is Comprehensive coverage, which insures you against other damage .

Neither is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Neither is medical payments coverage.

You aren’t required to carry any coverage at all which provides protection for damage to:
• Your car, when it is damaged
• You, or your family, when you are injured by someone else’s negligence

Despite the fact that I spend a lot of time suing insurance companies, I absolutely love having insurance. It provides peace of mind in so many ways I cannot begin to count them. It also saves you a lot of time and effort – usually.

It’s not my business to tell you what kind of auto insurance – or how much of it – you should buy.

But it’s always worth it to pay extra to get Uninsured/Underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. If you’re in an auto accident involving someone who doesn’t have much or any liability coverage – and believe me, there are a LOT of them – this protects you up to the amount of your limits for the coverage.

So if you have UM/UIM coverage with limits of $100,000, and you are hit by a negligent driver who only has $12,500 of coverage, you can recover up to $12,500 from him, and up to another $87,500 from your own insurance company.

You cannot have enough of this. Talk to your insurance agentit’s not that expensive. The biggest limiting factor is that your liability coverage limits have to be equal to or greater than your UM/UIM limits.

I have been a lawyer over 30 years. I give lectures to other lawyers about insurance coverage, and I have testified before the Ohio State Legislature on required coverage limits. If you’re confused about insurance coverage – and most of us are – speak with an experienced Cincinnati Injury Attorney. Call me, William Strubbe, at 513-621-4775.

Because all situations are different, and because there may be other facts pertaining to your case that I don’t know about, you should not rely on this answer for legal advice. I am not your attorney, and no lawyer client relationship has been formed.

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment